Visa Waiver Program
The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables qualifying nationals to travel to the United States for tourism or business stays for up to, but not exceeding, 90 days without a visa. If you qualify to travel via the Visa Waiver Program you must fill out the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) *.
You may qualify to travel under the Visa Waiver Program if:
- You are citizen of one of the following countries: Portugal, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, or the United Kingdom.
- You plan to stay in the United States for 90 days or less.
- You are traveling temporarily for tourism, business, or medical treatment.
- You have obtained an ESTA authorization prior to departing for the United States.*
- You hold a return or onward ticket. If the onward ticket terminates in Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or one of the Caribbean Islands, you must be a resident of that country in order to travel through the United States without a visa.
- If you make side trips to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and/or the Caribbean Islands, they must be within the 90-day period.
- Your passport complies with all Visa Waiver Program requirements. All regular Portuguese passports issued since 2001 comply with these requirements.
- If arriving by air or sea, you are traveling on an approved carrier (Approved Carriers). (PDF 230KB)
- You can NOT extend the duration of your stay.
- You can NOT accept paid or unpaid employment.
- You can NOT change your visa status.
You do NOT qualify to travel under the Visa Waiver Program if:
- You plan to study.
- You plan to stay in the United States longer than 90 days.
- You have a criminal record.
- You have a communicable disease like tuberculosis.
- You have previously been refused a visa, deported, or have been denied entry into the United States.
If you meet all the requirements for the Visa Waiver Program, you do NOT need to apply for a visa.
If you are unsure whether or not you qualify for VWP or want further information, please use these resources:
*You are not required to have specific travel plans to the United States before applying for an ESTA authorization. However, it is recommended that an ESTA approval be obtained as soon as a VWP traveler begins to plan a trip to the United States and no later than 72 hours before departure. Accompanied and unaccompanied children, regardless of age, are required to obtain an independent ESTA authorization and determination of eligibility.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.